Happy Birthday Honey Bear
My favorite girl in the entire world celebrates her 8th birthday today. Eight!!! Eight years of laughter, adventure, drama, and joy. Eight years of a constant companion. Eight years of “figuring it out as we go.” Eight years of Shelby goodness. I know they tell you you’ll love your kids, but I never expected to love them as much as I do. This girl is a part of me. My world would be incomplete without her.
They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This photo (below) confirms that old adage .. .Shelby is the silliest, goofiest kid I know. The entire world is her stage and she’s ready to perform at the drop of a hat. Silly faces. Wacky noises. Impromptu shows. That’s Shelby. She keeps us all laughing, all the time.
I’d be lying if I said life with Shelby is always rosy. As funny and energetic she is … she’s also very emotional, prone to meltdowns and incredibly strong willed. If she’s hungry or tired .. watch out. She has the best memory ever and she’ll hold your words against you when it suites her. She hates doing homework, though she loves school. She doesn’t like being challenged or pushed too hard or too fast (hello karate instructor). She moves at her pace and only her pace. It can be exasperating at times. The funny thing is … she’s exactly like me. I’m emotional. I’m prone to meltdowns. I like my routines and have trouble deviating from them. Clearly, this apply didn’t fall far from the tree.
I have no idea what the future holds for Shelby. She so smart. She’ll do amazing things. But she’s only going to do what makes her happy … because that’s the kind of person she is. I feel pretty confident she won’t waste years of her life on pursuits she isn’t passionate about. She’s gonna find something she loves and pursue it with her whole heart. I suspect she’ll do something artistic, creative or in the performance arena .. however, she has a knack for math, so who knows. I can’t wait to see her story unfold and join her on her journey.
Some things about Shelby…
- Favorite toy? Her massive collection of Big Eye Babies (TY Boos).
- Favorite fruit? Orange
- Favorite TV show? “Jessie”
- Favorite snack? Anything she can get her hands on. This kid can eat. She eats all the time and she’s as skinny as can be. Shelby is the best eater. There is little she won’t eat and she always tries what we give her (we insist on a “no thank you bite).
- Favorite song? “Who Says” by Selena Gomez
- Favorite book? Any book, especially the one she’s currently reading. Right now she totally loves the Black Lagoon series.
- Best friend? Lucy and Maya, though she’s pretty tight with all the girls in her class (there’s only six of them).
- What is your favorite cereal? Fruit Loops or Cheerios.
- Favorite thing to do outside? Ride her scooter.
- Favorite drink? Probably water or iced tea. She’s not all that picky, nor does she demand a specific drink (like Cooper does).
- What does Shelby take to bed each night? Her stuffed Cassius (a stuffed animal that belonged to Cassius and looks a lot like him); her Jessica doll; Beary; and she has to have a glass of fresh, ice water on her ladder.
- Shelby’s favorite thing to eat for breakfast? Squeezable yogurt, hard boiled eggs, bacon or a Toilet (take a piece of bread, cut a circle out of the middle and then fry the egg in the circle. Her Aunt Jennie introduced her to this and she loves it. Daddy is now a Toilet making pro).
- Favorite activity? Playing on the iPad, riding her scooter, playing with her Big Eyed Babies, and crafting.
Happy birthday beautiful girl. I love you more than words can say. You are the best daughter in the world and I’m beyond blessed to be your mama.April 17, 2012
Posted in Right now