New Beginnings, Fresh Starts
Last week, after nine years and three days, I was laid off. For the first time since I was a teenager I’m unemployed. I’m still processing what this means and how I feel, but in the 10 days since I got the news I’ve already learned some valuable lessons.
1. My self worth isn’t tied to my employment. There’s so much more to who am than whatever job I might have. It was quite a blow to my ego to be let go, but layoffs aren’t really a measure of how good you are or your value as a person … They just happen. It’s a business decision to lay people off and for the business it was the right thing to do.
2. I have an awesome support system near and far. The outpouring of love, support and encouragement has been amazing and reminder of how lucky I am to know and be associated with so many amazing people.
3. Having a finically savvy, forward-thinking husband is such a gift. Mike has had us on a budget for ages now, really making sure that we’re responsible with our money and savings. Thanks to him, we’ll weather this change and be just fine.
4. Being a stay-at-home mom (at least for the time being) is keeping me really, really busy. I’ve been volunteering at the kids’ school nearly every day since I got the news. Shelby got sick and had to go to the doctor for shots three days this week. Cooper is now sick too. I’m grateful I’ve been home and available to care for them and get them whete they need to be.
5. Exercise is even more important to my well being than it’s ever been. Mike and I started running again and I’ve been going to the gym to take come classes as well. I feel a million times better when I exercise and that’s especially helpful during this stressful time of uncertainty.
Though I loved my job and I really like contributing to my family’s income I know that being laid off won’t beeak me. I’ve endured nuch harder things in my life and I’m focusing on looking forward and finding new adventure … I’m looking forward to new beginnings and fresh starts.April 8, 2016
This entry was posted in Right now and tagged Currently, Right Now.